- What is considered as a truly green material?
A truly green product should be 100% biodegradable and 100% compostable.
- Why must yam be included in the composition of StarchWare™? Why can’t corn or yam be used as the sole material?
A small portion of yam is part of the formula to achieve the desired biodegradation capabilities together with corn starch. Using total corn or yam will not be able to achieve the industrial standard for biodegradability.
- Can StarchWare™ be used in a convection oven or in a steamer?
StarchWare™ can be used in a convection oven or in a steamer with temperatures not higher than 150°C.
- Is it microwaveable? If it is, how many minutes can it be?
Yes it is. The prudent temperature is at 125°C although a high 150°C is allowed. Maximum microwaving duration can be set for 15 minutes.
- What happens when Starchware™ is exposed to temperatures higher than 150°C?
No leaching will occur. However, the product may become softer than usual.
- At what levels of pH is it acid proof?
StarchWare™ can take acidity as low as pH 4 which is more than sufficient for the majority of the acidic foodstuffs commonly used.
- Can StarchWare™ products be washed and used again?
Yes, you can use it as many times as you deem fit. However, prolonged usage may result in the product turning flimsy.
- How long can Starchware™ be stored for?
In a dry and cool condition, it can be kept for at least 3 years. If the cartons are left open, then the expiry date will be shortened.
- Will Starchware™ biodegrade if buried in my own garden?
Like all bio-plastics, biodegradation is meant to be done in a compost facility or landfill. The environment in a compost facility or landfill is optimised for biodegradation. This allows the bio-plastics to biodegrade in a relatively short time as compared to biodegrading in a garden.
- Can Starchware™ be recycled?
Technically, starch-based plastics can be recycled. However, the volume available for recycling is not huge enough due to the fact that usage of such bioplastics is not as widespread. It is therefore not justifiable to build and maintain such a recycling facility.
- Can printing be done?
Yes, however we try to discourage printing as the process wastes energy and resources and is not in line with our company’s mission. Besides, coloring might compromise the strength of the end product. Embossment is a better recommendation since this method of production is more resource efficient.